Sunday 16 October 2011

First Redshank of the autumn

I managed a very brief pre-work visit from dawn this morning and immediately got on to a flock of 60 Woodpigeon moving west closely followed by two flocks of ten and eight heading in the same direction. Thinking I was in for a major movement I quickly made my way to my usual vis-mig point on the road above the northern scrub. Another flock of 41 went south-west followed by three north-east and 16 north, then it dried up completely with nothing moving in the next half hour. A comprehensive Common Teal count produced a total of 126, my first three-figure count of the autumn. A flighty Redshank at Bow Creek was the first of the autumn with two Common Sandpipers also there. Passerine activity was virtually non-existent, no warblers were heard or seen but above average numbers of Blackbirds were noted, around 15, mostly 1st-winter males, which were probably migrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment