Saturday 11 February 2012

Second Woodcock for the lower Lea

A mid-morning visit to the patch at low tide produced nothing of note, this state of the tide can be very unproductive so I decided to return just before high tide. Common Teal numbers seemed to be up so I embarked on a comprehensive count, I was on the eastern side of the ecology park silently  cursing some old lady for letting her mutt off the lead when the beast flushed a Woodcock from some pathside scrub that I had just walked past; it circled out over the creek making it onto my Tower Hamlets list as it flew over the Pura Foods peninsula; it then flew over the DLR line into the western half of the park and seemed to come down in scrub behind the feeder stream. A patch tick for me and only the second record for the lower Lea following on from one flushed from the copse at the basin by Gary on December 1st 2010. Another good record was three Lapwings on the Pura Foods Peninsula, it is usually a fly-over species here and the fourth wader species of the day with eight Redshank and three Common Sandpipers in the roost. I continued with the Common Teal count and ended up with a respectable 442, the female Pintail was also present along with a good count of 18 Shelduck.

No comments:

Post a Comment