Sunday 6 March 2011

A record count of Pied Wagtails


Pied Wagtails at Bow Creek, March 2011

I timed my visit today to coincide with high tide, ten Redshank and three Common Sandpiper were in the roost, a good count given the recent mild conditions although today was rather cold with a nagging north-easterly adding to the wind chill. A complete site count of Common Teal produced at least 163, again not a bad count for the time of year; 56 Tufted Duck were on the basin along with a pair of Canada Geese, another pair were on Bow Creek and two Shelduck flew in at Dusk. It was proving to be an unpromising day for passerines until I got on to a flock of at least 12 Pied Wagtails flying west over Bow Creek and coming down somewhere behind the Esso garage, I then realised that there were seven more all sitting motionless on the pavement alongside Bow Creek, at least 19 in total, my best count ever here surpassing the 11 I recorded on April 7th 2007. Presumably, given the time of day, these birds would be roosting locally but I could not find the roost site in the gathering darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment