Saturday 26 February 2011

A washout

Heavy rain greeted me this morning as I opened the curtains, so the decision I faced was do I stay at home and stare fruitlessly at the window or do I head down to East India Dock Basin and stare fruitlessly at the western reedbed from the comparative comfort of a covered blind in the hope of finally connecting with Water Rail for my year list? I chose the latter option and spent over 90 minutes failing miserably, if it was a patch lifer I would be in despair (or more likely in permanent residence in the reeds), but as it's only a yeartick I'll just have to let it go, but probably not before I've put in several more hours trying to nail it. In any other walk of life it would be a truism to say that good things come to he who waits but in birding the opposite is often true. Needless to say not much else was noted, two Shelduck and the female Pintail on Bow Creek, 107 Common Teal throughout the site, 45 Tufted Duck on the basin and a female Reed Bunting feeding on the north shore of the basin.

No comments:

Post a Comment